Friday, October 19, 2007

Newsworthiness

Now I understand that even news stations need to have some sort of entertainment value, but sometimes they hang on things a little too long. Since when did the so called “Iggygate” become such a big story? I realize that Ellen Degeneres is a huge celebrity but this story is not worth the attention it’s been getting. However, I can see why people are following this story so much. Ellen’s big emotional breakdown provided all the fuel for the inferno that is “Iggygate.” Even major news stations like CNN have been covering the story for the past 3 days.

I think that it’s no mystery that the only reason this is such a big story is the fact that Ellen is a celebrity. I also think that this is part of a bigger problem. The problem is that people are too obsessed with celebrity news. It’s like people care more about this dog being taken away from two 12 year old girls than anything else. Maybe it’s me, but I think that this story should have only received about five minutes of attention.

1 comment:

Writing Prof said...

Wow, I must really be out of the loop. I didn't even hear about "Iggygate." but I get your point. And it is a good one.

Interesting post.