Sunday, September 23, 2007

Enough of O.J! Nobody is thirsty anymore!

It always amazes me how celebrity news always beats out real news. I mean whenever a celebrity couple breaks up, gets a DUI, or loses there dog, it’s always in with the top stories. I mean come on, do people really care if a celebrity pet goes missing? I bet most people didn’t even know that celebrity had a pet until they lost it! Anyways, I’ve noticed that in the past few days that the OJ Simpson story is on every news station, on some it’s even considered one of the top stories. I mean yeah, he tried to rob a place, but does it really deserve this many days of coverage. The only reason why this story is not some 20 second segment is solely because he is a celebrity. He has played professional football, he was involved in an extremely high profile murder case, and now its robbery. I guess we can all agree that he has one hell of a resume, and I mean that in the most negative way possible.

One would have to be blind to not see some kind of bias here. This story fulfills so many different kinds. I mean take your pick it has structural, visual, commercial, and temporal. A picture of OJ in handcuffs again will capture a lot of people’s attention, which I think is kind of sad, because I really don’t care about celebrity anything, but that’s just me. However, just because this is a “juicy” story doesn’t mean that it should take precedent over more important issues like oh I don’t know that whole war situation overseas! I say that OJ is old news and let’s move on! I for one have had my fill of “the juice!”

1 comment:

Writing Prof said...

This is a good post, especially the way you brought in all the different biases represented in the story. I could have sworn that I commented on this piece earlier . . . but maybe not. Anyway, good work!!